Sound In Motion’s three Day festival and camping event, Summer Set Music Festival, is this upcoming weekend. Entering its third year, Summer Set Music Festival’s 2014 lineup is reflective of the current state of popular music throughout the country. This year’s Summer Set attendees are going to be dancing the night away with some of the top artists in EDM, hip hop and rock. Whether you’re camping or driving in everyday, this festival looks to be one of the most fun festivals in the Midwest this year. These are my 14 must see artists for this upcoming weekend:
- Kaskade: While some have been disappointed in the way that Kaskade has transitioned as a DJ, he still will be throwing down the best big room house set of the night. With the headlining set time you can’t miss him either. Running off his recent album ‘Atmosphere’ and compilation album ‘I Remember’, expect nothing but greatness from this house legend.
- Chromeo: This Electro Funk duo has been killing it at every festival that they’ve played this year from Coachella to EDC to Lollapalooza. Armed with their hit songs “Jealous”, “Come Alive” and “Sexy Socialite”, they will definitely be bringing the funk with them to Summer Set.
- Treasure Fingers: What was that? You like great music? This artist from Fools Gold Records will not disappoint, bringing you some of that sexy deep house/disco sounds to dance the night away.
- Figure: Ranging from electro house to dubstep, Figure consistently brings out the best that each genre has to offer. With recent releases in trap and dubstep, this artist is not going to disappoint in giving you your daily dose of wub wubs. I’m personally hoping he’ll drop his latest remix of “Friday The 13th”.
- Moonboots: Bringing us some R&B/underground disco is Moonboots, who will be blasting us off to space and making our feet dance like there is no gravity. It will be great to vibe out to some deep house and let go from our terrestrial home for an hour during the day.
- Gramatik: Not playing during the regular festival times, definitely do not miss this afterparty. Gramatik has blown my mind ever since hearing his remix of Muse’s “Knights of Cydonia” and only continues to get better with time. Bonus points to him for releasing all his music for free online. His hip hop influenced beats will keep you dancing all night long.
- Wu Tang Clan: I’m not a huge fan of hip hop but you cannot miss the Wu. There is even a chance that all nine members will be there, due to their recent appearance on The Daily Show, which would make that set even more magical.
- Flux Pavilion: One of my all-time favorite dubstep artists, Flux Pavilion continues to impress me with awesome releases and live performances that have left me in awe. The co-founder of Circus Records has recently gone outside of his normal wub wub roots and has been incorporating other electronic genres into his music.
- Big Gigantic: Unavoidable due to time slot, but going to be completely worth it. Big Gigantic has been releasing some of the grooviest beats to dance to, with live saxophone and drums making for a mix that will keep you going all night long.
- Claude Von Stroke: What can I say more about the owner of both Mothership and Dirtybird Record Labels? This Tech/Deep House artist is going to blow your mind if you’ve never seen him live. His set time is a little shorter than I’d like but he is still going to kill it.
- Myon and Shane 54: If you’re going to get some summer lovin’ in during this weekend, this is basically your best opportunity. With massive hits “Strangers”, “If I Fall” and recent release “Summer of Love” you’ll not only woo your date for the night, but feel emotionally connected to these two as well.
- Green Velvet: It’s finally time to get hit with those laser beams that everyone loves. This minimal/tech house DJ is going to wow you with some beats to bring you back.
- Umphrey’s McGee: Get a little rock music in and check out these guys from South Bend, Indiana. Total jam band status like Phish and the Grateful Dead, Umphrey’s McGee will put you in a great happy mood if you just want to chill out with some friends. Their latest album, Similar Skin, was just released so expect to hear a lot of music from that.
- Bassnectar: You’ll be closing out your Summer Set Festival with the one of the kings of bass music, Bassnectar. With his roots stemming as DJ Lorin at Burning Man, he has collaborated with some of the greatest artists in hip hop, electronic, and pop music since his explosion onto the scene in 2001 as Bassnectar. Be prepared for some wild visuals and a set that will melt your face off.
Here is the link for set times this weekend so you don’t miss any of the must-sees: Summer Set Set Times
If you haven’t bought your tickets yet, you can buy them here.
If you’re still holding out and need any more reason to go, the Summer Set Music & Camping Festival 2013 official aftermovie and the 2014 announcement video will definitely tip you to the going side.