Only four days remain in our wait for Insomniac’s return to the Bay Area with their third year of Beyond Wonderland Bay Area. Returning to the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, Beyond Wonderland is sure to impress with their four stages and art installations this year. The Insomniac team has surprised quite a few people, including myself, with lineup that is stock full of some of the biggest names in Trance. Of course there are also some notable other big names who will be performing this weekend, so here are my top ten suggested artists to see at Beyond Wonderland Bay Area 2014.
- Above and Beyond – Regardless if you are bitter about their shift to songs that are more club friendly, Above and Beyond still provides one of the greatest experiences in their live sets. Full of emotion and crowd interaction, this trio rarely disappoints. If you’re bringing a date with you, this will be the set to make your night a little more magical. Check out their closing set, starting at 9:30 pm at the Queen’s Domain.
- Mat Zo – A versatile artist who has played a range of genres from pure trance to electro house, Mat Zo will definitely be someone to not miss. After seeing both of his sets at Nocturnal Wonderland two weekends ago, I highly suggest seeing him play. You can dance the night away to his set at 7 pm at the Queen’s Domain.
- Paul Oakenfold – One of the most decorated and adored trance artists, Oakenfold has produced consistent tracks over his large career. While still producing for and working with pop stars, he has also begun to revisit his roots in trance. His most recent album release ‘Trance Mission’ breathed new life back into some classic trance songs, and his newest album ‘Pop Killer’ is slated for release this year as well. Check him out at 4 pm at the Queen’s Domain!
- Destructo – Living a dual life as both CEO of HARD and playing amazing as Destructo, Gary Richards is sure to bring down the house with a set full of some of the hardest techno out there. Definitely do not miss his set at 5:30 pm at the Mad Hatter’s Castle!
- Donald Glaude – One of the artists who helped define the west coast house style, Donald Glaude has been pushing out amazing music since the 90s. If you’re looking for some old-school house music, his set will be the place to be. Catch his set at 3 pm at the Mad Hatter’s Castle.
- Simon Patterson – Boasting a career over a decade long full of huge hits, Simon Patterson is pretty much the king of the psytrance genre. With sets that are full of some serious energy, Psymon’s set is going to keep you dancing away and making you fall back in love with trance. Check him out at 5 pm at the Cheshire Woods!
- Showtek – There ain’t no party like a Showtek party. While this duo has departed from their hardstyle roots, they are sure to impress with a set that is going to be a ton of fun. Their unique influence on big room house runs deeper than many people realize. Get down and dirty with them at the Queen’s Domain at 6 pm!
- Aly and Fila – Closing out the night at the Cheshire Woods is arguably one of the most dynamic duos in trance. Hailing from Egypt, Fadi is going to be hitting everyone with some of the best uplifting trance you will hear. It’s going to be a tough choice as Kaskade is a time schedule conflict, but make sure to at least check this set out at 8:45 pm!
- Photographer – While many trance artists have gone through some serious changes in style in the past few years, it is refreshing to hear Photographer pumping out some beats that have seemingly disappeared from the face of music festivals. Get ready for an uplifting ride at the Cheshire Woods at 4 pm!
- Moonboots – Making a return to my must see artists for the second time, Moon Boots definitely deserves a listen. I was seriously impressed at Summer Set Music Festival this past August and cannot wait to groove out to some of his amazing music again. Be sure to catch his 2.5 hour set at the Boombox Art Car at 6 pm!
Set times, artist information, and FAQs about the event can be found at beyondwonderland.com
If you haven’t bought your tickets yet, 2 Day Passes and Sunday Passes are still available. Buy them now before it is too late: beyondwonderland.com/tickets
Reserve a locker for $30-35: Mobile Charging Lockers
Beyond Wonderland Bay Area 2014 Trailer